Status Hat Productions

Search...

Share/Save/Bookmark

Landscape is perhaps the most natural subject in the world for artists. It surrounds us, fills our focus, and defines our existence. Yet each artist reads his or her own unique truth in the landscape, and hence depicts it in a different way. From a surreal music video to a collage on recycled plastic, these artists' perspectives on landscape are as varied as the landscapes from which they come, from Ireland to Norway to California.  - Allison Geller

CLICK TO VIEW SHOWCASE:  SYNNOVE TILREM - AMBER SPINDLER NICHOLAS PETRUCCO - DEVON BRYANT - TALISSA MEHRINGER - LIA M  DALY

Find out more about these artists in our Guest Artists Catalog.

Synnove Tilrem:

01_Tilrem_goodbye_blue_sky
02_Tilrem_bad_weather
03_Tilrem_last_of_2009
04_Tilrem_strange_weather
1/4 
start stop bwd fwd

“I like to take landscape pictures when the sun is going down, or when there are clouds in the sky. Low sun is the perfect light for evocative images, and I often think that the golden light helps give depth to the picture. Clouds make the sky more vibrant and exciting. Sometimes I invert the sky when I'm editing pictures, which gives the photos a fairytale-like feel.”

Amber Spindler:

Work by Amber Spinder

Amber takes most of her pictures while hiking in the valley of Northern California. As the unusual perspective of this image illustrates, she likes the photograph the same subject from different angles to see how it is best captured. She wants her images “full of color and natural architecture.”

Nicholas Petrucco:

07_Petrucco_Obelisk_lowres
08_Petrucco_The Graves_lowres
09_Petrucco_Vale entrance_lowres
10_Petrucco_Pitch Pine lowres
10a_Petrucco_Lisha kill4 lowres
1/5 
start stop bwd fwd

Nicholas uses a unique process of infrared photography to depict landscape: “The human eye only sees a narrow band of the electromagnetic spectrum, ending at red. The film I was using "saw" into the far red and near infrared portions of the spectrum. I immediately understood the ideas embodied by shooting in infrared; this spectrum saturates the world around us and is completely invisible to us. It is the hidden world that exists in tandem with our own, a world of glowing life, how I wish I saw everything.”

Devon Bryant:

11_bryant_TripScape
12_bryant_LongHawk
13_bryant_MoonOwl
14a_bryant_CosmicMoth
1/4 
start stop bwd fwd

Devon's “Eco-Scape” collages are made using found papers on reclaimed plexiglass and plastics. In his own words: “It is important for me to treat my work as alchemy, and a such I make every effort to use base materials in my quest for gold. These are not pictures of specific places, like traditional landscapes, but rather artwork using the symbol of "landscape" to create subtle energetic effects in the viewer.”

Talissa Mehringer:

Work by Talissa mehringer

“My process for creating "Landscape" was no different than my process for drawing or doing video work- layers! I started out with a variety of original photographs taken in Germany, at the Natural History Museum in NY, and a lot of textures I had shot over time. After that, it was very much like painting with photographs until the final work seemed unified enough to stand alone.” 

Talissa uses her layering techniques to create a music video to “Old Natcor” by Red Mandible, setting a strange and captivating scene:

OLD NATCOR music video for The Red Mandible from Talissa Mehringer on Vimeo.

Liam Daly

16_liam_cliffs_of_moherI
17_liam_from_grattan_bridge
18_liam_liffey_bridges
19_liam_cottage_from_sheep_field
20a_Liam_Pegli
1/5 
start stop bwd fwd

“Focusing on shape and colour, Daly particularly enjoys the light and forms of the Irish weather and landscape. The colours of the land close up, such as sodden bog plants and lichen on trees, together with urban sights such as peeling paintwork or wires populated with birds, are a constant inspiration for depicting greater landscape views.”

Trigger - A Status Hat Publication - First Edition

BACK TO: LANDSCAPE - OCT. 2010

Status Hat - October 2010 Landscape
RETURN TO OCT.  2010
TABLE OF CONTENTS!

OCTOBER MUSIC 2010

Click

Status Hat on Facebook...Status Hat on Twitter

CALL FOR WORKS!

Find more ART, WRITING & MUSIC in STATUS HAT'S ARCHIVES:

JOIN OUR MAILING LIST...

ABOUT OCTOBER'S MUSIC!

Status Hat Featured Music!

Check Out Status Hat's

Featured Music Page H ere,

with more about the selected musicians &

where you can find them!

Help Support Status Hat's
Literary/Arts Publications,
Works in Development and
Teaching Arts Programs.

OCTOBER 2010 CREDITS

Editors:  Allison Geller Chelsea Henderson,

Poetry:  Keith Moul, Marjorie Maddox

Visual Art: Synnove Tilrem, Amber Spindler, Nicholas Petrucco, Devon Bryant, Talissa Mehringer, Liam Daly 

Music:  Neal Swanger, Adam Randall

Cover Art:  Background image by Ken Ford;

All contributors and musicians retain full rights to their work.

Publication:  Status Hat Productions.

If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us at editor@statushat.org.

STATUS HAT PRODUCTIONS IS AN ARTS COLLABORATIVE.

WE DEVELOP NEW WORKS IN A VARIETY OF MEDIA, AND PUBLISH A MONTHLY ARTSZINE FEATURING ART, MUSIC, WRITING & MORE.

WE BELIEVE THE ART EXPERIENCE IS A PRIMAL AND BENEFICIAL HUMAN DRIVE.  TO CREATE, AND TO SHARE WITH ONE ANOTHER THROUGH THE CREATIVE ACT, IS VITAL FOR INDIVIDUALS AND COMMUNITIES TO FLOURISH.

YOU CAN FIND OUT MORE ABOUT US HERE.

CONTACT US AT INFO@STATUSHAT.ORG